Pale gold in color with a fine mousse, the Brut Majeur is aromatic on the nose. On the palate, it is well balanced and shows great style and complexity. Pinot Noir gives the wine richness and a long finish while Chardonnay, from the finest soils of the Côtes des Blancs, adds delicacy, liveness and freshness. Pinot Meunier, predominantly from the Marne Valley, gives the wine its appealing fruitiness and roundness.
Leave a Comment
Wine maker notes
Pinot Noir 40%, Chardonnay 40% et Pinot Meunier 20%. The origin of the crus’ excellent quality is a credit to is restrictive selection from the beginning. A blend of Pinot Noir from Aÿ, Mareuil-sur-Aÿ, Louvois, Bouzy, Tours-sur-Marne, Verzy, Rilly. Chardonnay from Cramant, Mesnil-sur-Oger, Cuis, Vertus & Rilly. Pinot Meunier from Venteuil, Cerseuil, St Martin d’Ablois, Chavot. The AYALA-blend has an extremely high average rating of 93% on the “échelle des crus” scale. 80% of this cuvee is made from the 2008 vintage; the remaining 20% are reserve wines (Pinot Noir and Chardonnay).
Delicious as an aperitif, Brut Majeur is also the perfect wine to serve throughout an entire meal. It pairs perfectly with seafood: terrines, scallops, lobster, crab and fish, especially salmon. Brut Majeur also goes extremely well with beef carpaccio, white meats, stews and white pudding (“boudin blanc”). Soft and mouldy cheeses such as Boursault, Coulommiers, Chaource, Brie and Brillat-Savarin are rich accompaniments. Fruit-based desserts such as crumbles and tarts pair well with Brut Majeur as do desserts with almonds paste and frangipane pastries such as the French “Galette des Rois”.